The safety of Nebraskans depends on competent management of state law enforcement and correctional facilities.
- Senior leadership has been lacking under Governor Ricketts' administration.
- Governor Ricketts has instead concerned himself with evading transparency and planning executions of death row inmates.
- Our correctional facilities face chronic understaffing and overcrowding.
- Pleas for criminal justice reform have not been addressed, culminating in prison riots at the Tecumseh State Correctional facility in 2015 and again in 2017.
- Continued failures to address the safety of Nebraskans, inmates, and law enforcement officials puts our communities at risk.
A Governor Davis approach will look different...
There is a desperate need to adapt our laws to the realities of today. In order to enact real change, we must:
- Provide access to education, economic opportunity, and mental health support to inmates and formerly incarcerated individuals.
- Incentivize offenders to remain in the general population and reduce recidivism.
- Reform non-violent drug offense sentences to better serve justice.
- Ensure that inmates and offenders that present a danger to public safety are not erroneously released under laws that were intended to alleviate the over-burdening of our correction's system.
Unlike our Governor, a Tyler Davis approach will collaborate with State Senators to develop real solutions to keep our communities safe.